Borough of South Coatesville
Stormwater management is, regulated by the Clean Water Act and by the Borough’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits. The NPDES program includes local separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) that serve populations with fewer than 100,000 residents.
Stormwater Management Tip: Keep Drains Clear
The Stormwater system is not designed to remove pollutants from water; it was designed to convey rainwater and snow melt directly to creeks or larger bodies of water. Never dump litter, leaves, animal waste or oil or any other contaminants into stormwater drains. It is a violation of Federal Clean Water Act and citiations will be issued for non compliance..
Additional information are available at: https://www.epa.gov/nps
More information about the MS4 program is available from the DEP Stormwater Management Program website.
South Coatesville Borough is required to develop a MS4 stormwater management plan that involves the community through:
- Public education and outreach
- Public participation and involvement
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site runoff control
- Post-construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations and maintenance.
The goals of stormwater management are to:
- Reduce the discharge of pollutants.
- Protect water quality
- Satisfy requirements of the Clean Water Act
- Anything that goes into a storm sewer goes directly to streams, without being cleaned or filtered at a treatment plant. Residents can help by being careful about using materials that could end up in the stormwater system and by monitoring storm water inlets.
Items that can run off into storm drains and cause pollution include:
- Pet waste
- Sediment from construction sites
- Chemical, gas and oil spills
Dumping into the storm sewer system is illegal and dangerous! Call the Borough Office at (610) 384-1700, during business hours if you witness anyone dumping materials into an inlet. Call our local Police Department if you see illicit dumping after hours or on weekends.
For more information on stormwater go to EPA’s stormwater program homepage at: https://www.epa.gov/npdes/npdes-stormwater-program
Never allow chemicals, detergents construction materials or anything other than water to enter the Borough’s storm water system. For example, if you are doing concrete work, do not pour extra material into the street. These materials eventually enter our streams.
Keep your worksite neat. Loose trash, gravel, or other building materials can find their way into the street and eventually be washed into the storm sewer system.
Stormwater Management Resources
Borough of South Coatesville
136 Modena Road
South Coatesville, PA 19320
Copyright 2020 Borough of South Coatesville. All rights reserved.